RIVERSIDE - "Weird Al" Yankovic will take the stage Sunday for a one-night only performance at the historic Fox Performing Arts Center. The comedian took some time out to talk about his upcoming performance in the Inland Empire and his new album, "Alpocalypse."
What can fans expect at tonight's performance?
Yankovic: They can expect me live on stage with the same band I've been with (for years). They'll hear a lot of stuff from the new album and some random golden oldies. It'll be a fun show with a high production value that will give people their money's worth.
I try to put on an entertaining show and we put a lot of effort in each performance. People who are into me today are the same ones who were fans when they were young and now they're bring their kids along. So, shows have become a family bonding experience.
Can you give me a taste of what kind of music you will be performing?
Yankovic:: I go back into the "Weird Al" catalog and pick (tunes) from each era of my career. Everybody in the audience can have a nostalgic experience with the hits. And I try to put in one or two semi-obscure songs in the mix so the hardcore fans can have something to listen to. What can fans expect with your new album, "Alpocalypse?"
Yankovic:: Well, the first single is the Lady Gaga parody, "Perform This Way." And there's a polka medley, "Polka Face." A song in the style of The Doors. A song about Charles Nelson Riley and Taylor Hanson makes an appearance. It's an eclectic mix and I would say it is my best work to date. What did you think about your fan's reactions to the Lady Gaga "controversy?"
Yankovic: I never court controversy because I don't like drama or making a fuss over something. So I uploaded the song up on YouTube because I spent a lot of time on this parody and I didn't want it to be the case where no one was going to hear the song. It was heartwarming to see people take my side and support my quest for acceptance. And thankfully, the upside of (the matter) was Lady Gaga never heard the song. It was her manager who vetoed it on her behalf. But she approved it and didn't have a problem at all. The controversy actually alerted her to the news. Over the years, I've parodied hundreds of artists and I can count on my hand the people who have had issues. It is an homage to have a Weird Al parody.
This will be my first "Weird Al" show. What can I expect to see tonight?
Yankovic: The show is a little over two hours, so empty your bladder before hand. There is no intermission. And be prepared to have a good time.
There's a number - "Wanna Be Your Lover" - where I go into the audience and interact with fans. You never know what's going to happen and that's always fun. The number gives off a faux, cheesy "Lounge Lizard" kind of vibe where I try to be as creepy as possible. That's an amusing part of the show for me.
It is wonderful to look into the audience and see the weirdest demographic one will ever see at a rock show. We have people from toddlers to geriatrics in the audience and it is fun to see a great sloth of humanity enjoying the show all at once.
What has been your favorite moment so far promoting your new album?
Yankovic: I would see this interview.
Tickets to tonight's show at the Riverside theater, 4800 Magnolia Avenue, are $27 to $67 and are available via Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com.
For more information on "Weird Al" Yankovic, visit his official website at www.weirdal.com. And don't forget to pick up his latest album, "Alpocolypse," his first full-length studio album in five years, on June 21. The CD features parodies of songs by artists Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and more.